Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I might be in the clear...

I had my doctor's appointment today. I walked into the crowded oncology office filled with old people staring at me...it was uncomfortable. They were probably wondering what the hell I was doing there. Anyways Dr. Nagourney called Dr. Einhorn and talked to him about my case and the size of my tumor and what we should do. According to the literature the size of my residual mass is borderline regarding whether to excise or not. It also depends on the tissue type. Dr. Einhorn says that I'm good and as far as he's concerned I'm cancer free and wouldn't operate.

Dr. N. was saying they would have to follow me very closely though probably with imaging studies every 3 months for 2 years. Then I'll fully be in the clear. Because the cancer could come back during that time Dr. N. ideally wanted me to get a PET scan which is a lot more specific than a CT scan. I guess it determines whether there is any "hot" tissue or living cancerous material. If the PET scan comes out positive then I'll probably go through with the surgery. But we have to pay for the PET scan out of pocket because it's not covered...but it's my life and I am worth it. I guess PET scans for the more common cancers are covered (breast and colon) but since mine is less common I have to pay.

Dr. N. was talking to us when his cell phone rang, he was talking to a very excited woman. He told us that he had a patient who was a well respected doctor from Cincinatti who had travelled the US to for different types of cancer treatments but none worked out. She went to Dr. N. and she's been in remission for over 6 years. I guess she was really putting his name out there in her community. She must have some connections because he told us that he might be on Oprah. Isn't that insane!

I will probably have my PET scan this week and I have another doctor's appointment next Tuesday. Physically I'm doing well, I think all of the chemo side effects are out of my body. I've been surfing a little bit, trying to do a lot of endurance activities...slowly but surely I'm getting back in shape.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

This is great news! We are so happy for you! We know that with the strength you have, you will conquer this to the end.

Love,
Donna, Garry, Matthew, Mari, Brett, and Scotty

6:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.....What good news; everyone's prayers worked!!!!!

Love,
K, V and T

6:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY

7:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scizott! I'm so glad to hear the good news. You are definitely one tough cookie! :) We've got to plan something soon to kick it! Love, Marlo

8:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's wonderful news. I guess your parents' luck and love were with you!!
That's so much better than a royal flush! I guess there was a reason why they won all that money. There was a purpose to it, not just fate.

My love to you and your family,

Jayne

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH,
i'm smiling while some salty liquid coming from my eyes, weird stuff. Scott i'm soooooooooo happy for you. My new hero.

God Bless Always
Angella.

9:26 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You bet you're worth it! I'm glad it's almost over... :)

9:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott!
I am so happy to hear the good news. I knew your strength could overcome this. You are such an inspiration. Continue the fight scotty, you will come out on top. God bless you!
Angie;)

10:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott!

Praise God for even greater news! You definitely are worth the extra cost of the PET scan! You're a strong fighter. I'm so happy for you & your family. Stay strong. Thanks for sharing your feelings about your journey. I'll keep praying. God is hearing our prayers. YAY!!! for you!
AC

10:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha Mr. Scott
Great news Nephew and Glory to the All Mighty God. We are stoked and thank all your family and friends for their mighty prayers! Stay on track and good luck with the scan. Hey, this may call for a family vacation on Maui huh?!!! Easy.........Aloha, MauiMizufukas

11:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
OF COURSE you are worth it!! I'm ecstatic for you if you can avoid surgery! I don't have The Memorial Plan (I chose the other insurance option at LBMMC, Pacificare, so Patrick could continue with the MD he has had for 7 yrs) but I have worked with lots of insurance coverage over these 30 years in nursing... IF your policy reads that PET scans are NOT a covered benefit, they can legally do that, but they can't cover it for more common cancers (if I'm understanding correctly what you said) like Breast & Colon & not others... either its a covered benefit or its not...maybe you or your mom could talk to the customer service # on your card &, ask for it in writing.... I'll be happy to help if I can....I'm good at writing appeals re: coverage... sometimes it's just a matter of tenacity & asking the right questions...not how it SHOULD be, but how it is these days in health care.... YOU are SOOOOOOO worth it!! Have a great day! Marilyn

7:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! i'm so happy for you!

stick

10:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!
You're amazing...and I'm sure you'll have the endurance and strength back in no time...not to mention the tolerance!!! =)
Glad you were able to get a few beers and eat some sushi.
Wishing you and your family all the best...that cancer has nothing on you!!!

3:28 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott

That's the best news you could give us. I've been following your journal on a daily basis and knew the outcome of your treatments would be in your favor primarily due to your strong and positive attitude and the prayers and support of your family and friends. You are truly a special person and deserve the best and I won't be surprised if we see you on the "Oprah" show with your doctor. Wishing you another journey of good health and much happiness.

Love Kaz

5:29 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome news, Scott! God, indeed is GREAT! Take it easy, get stronger, and just know, we're still behind you with love, support, and prayers.

love,
Venus

8:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear such good news. Especially that you're surfing and starting to get back into the regular swing of things.

Take care,
Paul

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!!!! You bet your worth it! Hope and pray the scan gives you GOOD news.
Love,
Karen B.

9:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!! I give praise and glory to God for He is Good!
May our Heavenly Father continue to be with you, Scott, and congratulations on the great news!!
love,
karen k.

10:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ey scizott, definitely good news! good to hear you're surfing more, etc. right now, i'm sitting at my desk and there's a guy a couple aisles over talking about mock fantasy drafts, what a rookie. the association is just around the corner, mr. transactions.

take care, later. al k

4:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey cutie,
Have been following your
journey with much interest. I am so excited for you. Good work! This is such good news! You are in our prayers and thoughts. Get back here I miss you!
Susan D

7:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Scott,
I am glad to hear the good news, so when should we get together and drink some vodka like old times? J/K

Daniel Chang

10:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
Such awesome news!!!! You are in my prayers always and I am sure you will be back with us before you know it. Just enjoy surfing and everything small, big and wonderful.
love,
Angelique

7:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott...glad to hear the good news, and that you are keeping yourself busy. Looking forward to hearing more great news in the future.
Take care,
Heather

2:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What wonderful news!!! So great to know that you have the best docs working with you. We are glad to hear that you are feeling better and getting outdoors. Although we haven't posted in awhile, please know you and your family are always in our thought and prayers.

Tracy and Dan

3:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home