I win...
It was nice to get away to Vegas and escape the routine. For all of you who aren't familiar with the tournament, once you're 21 or play with a team of 21 year olds you have basketball games on friday and saturday. It's a japanese american intergenerational mingling of drinking, eating, gambling and catchin' up with people you haven't seen since last vegas tournament. Most of the people I ran into were aware of my situation and were happy to see I was looking healthy. I ran into a lot of people and they were saying they check my blog everyday....it's cool that you guys are checking up on me.
Anyways I decided to play some blackjack on Friday night, went on a nice couple of runs and cashed out up almost $200. I went and watched our bball team play on friday and 1st game on saturday....we ended up winning consolation...way to go fellas. Some people were asking if I was dying sitting on the bench watching my team play. But I wasn't, I think my mindset and physical capacity has shifted. I have no energy and don't have a desire to play bball until I can go all out. Usually if I'm on the sidelines I have an injury and would physically be able to handle the game if it weren't for the injury. Sitting on the sidelines with a long term condition puts things in perspective. Basketball will be there when I get back, the key for me is to maintain my health and not exacerbate any of my symptoms (swelling in the left arm).
Looking around the bball gym, in the casinos and restaurants I saw tons of people with shaved heads. It made me feel a lot more at ease, I'm still self conscious...I just need to tan my head. I ran into a couple of people and made the kind of small talk you engage in when you haven't seen them in awhile. They weren't aware of my situation and I was wearing a hat so I just didn't let them in on my little condition...it wouldn't have really added much to the conversation. I feel it's a bit much to unload onto just an aquaintance, you know?
Our family went big on Saturday night and had dinner at Lawry's. Very nice experience, had great food and service. We're taking adavntage of my normal appetite while I still have it. My parents had a great time that night too....rolled out to the Celine Dion concert. They enjoyed it, and then my dad got a royal flush and made enough money to cover the trip. Great times.
I finished the first treament of my second cycle of chemo this morning and things are going okay so far. The side effects didn't kick in until about wednesday last cycle and lasted almost a week. My mom and I had a lot of cancer conversations with various patients today. One pilipino lady had breast cancer and was talking to us about herbs, this other lady was yappin' about insurance companies and all of their denials, back in the chemo lounge my latino buddy (has testicular cancer w/metastases and getting same treatment) is finishing up his last cycle and was talking about his side effects and kids (went to disneyland for his kid's bday yesterday). The last lady was receiving chemo and a while back also during chemo her 19 yr old son had a stroke. She seemed to have a strong character and was able to get through the situation with no problem. She said her son is functioning perfectly now.
Seeing other people and their situations with nagging injuries, multiple side effects and especially their age makes me grateful that I'm fighting this while I'm young and in good physical shape. Medical technology is amazing and everyone being treated at the infusion center looks to be in solid shape. It was nice seeing everyone in vegas this weekend and it's always great reading your guys' comments, I love reading them. Fran....the apple pie was awesome...had 2 pieces last night.
Oh yeah I gained some weight on my two weeks off. Before chemo I was 177, dropped to 170 at the end of the week, 172 at beginning of my first week off, and my mom's milkshakes and good cooking got me back up to 177.5 today. The plan is working.
13 Comments:
Scott- Glad to hear you had a good time in Sin City, hope you held on to some of the 200 you won! If not hit your dad up for some of his winnings !! The hair thing is no big deal I've been without for years, the women still won't leave me alone (big dreams). On a serious note, I just learned today that my father has colon cancer, catscan Thurs. surgery sometime next week. So we will be thinking about the big C together. Take care of yourself and listen to your mother!!!! The Buck's
7:25 PM
Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself in Vegas. Thinking of you and your folks.
Debbie
7:51 PM
Hi Scott,
We're glad to hear that you had a great time in Vegas. This was a lucky trip for you and your Dad too! You do have the advantage of being young and in good physical shape, so we know you will conquer this cancer. Stay strong and just know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers.
Donna, Garry, Matthew, Mari, Brett, and Scotty
9:13 PM
Congrats on your big win! :) Also happy to hear your maintaing your weight... eat up! I've got lots to tell you, we'll have to hook up soon. It just keeps getting better and better at LBMMC!!!
Miss you,
GD
9:28 PM
Hi Scott,
We missed seeing you in LV, but we did see your parents. Good thing someone won some money! We are so inspired by your courage and positive attitude that we have encouraged others to read your blog. You definitely are a WINNER, too!
Alan & Sue Endo
BB is great, but I (Alan)think your future is in golf! Let me know when your ready to play.
11:31 PM
Scott,
So glad that you had such a great time in Las Vegas! Winning $200 is great too. Hey, we hope your Dad gave you some extra from his winnings! Stay strong during your 2nd round of chemo. With your strong spirit and courage, you can't help but come out on top!
Say hi to your mom and dad for us.
Ken & Chris Hankawa
11:44 PM
Thanks for the update, Scott. Years ago I read, "Life is fragile...handle with Prayer." That's been my motto for a long time, and I'm praying for you and others facing life's many challenges. Most recently it's a coworker's son who had a motorcycle accident. He broke both femurs, right forearm, and many lacerations. They need you to get back to work quickly so you could be their PT.
karen k
p.s. Hoooray! You won in LV!
7:27 AM
Gambatte Ttocs! Amayikas Eiluj
5:44 PM
scott-
Been reading your blog. I've just been really impressed by how well you've been handling everything. Glad to hear that you had fun in Vegas. Just wanted to let you know I've been thinking of and praying for you.
Ryan Onishi
6:21 PM
Scott, great seeing you in Vegas. Wish you could've played cuz I know the team would have won instead of taking consolation. So now you're into the second quarter against this opponent of yours, but soon it'll be halftime, and you'll be way ahead well on your way to victory. Take care and look forward to seeing you again soon.
ed kato
7:44 PM
Hi Scott,
It was great to hear that you and your parents were able to get away for the weekend. It sounds like all the luck was going in your favor. Love your photos and you look terrific! Your mom and dad gave you the best genes!! Try to get a lot of rest these next few days. As always, my thoughts will be with you and your family.
Jayne
10:13 PM
Ha! Bet that burger of yours might've helped gain your weight back too :) Vegas sounds like it treated you all well :) You've got a nicely shaped head Mr.! Please don't go to the Mystic Tan places. They'll make you look like an Oompa Loompa Doom Paty Doo....:)
Praying that this week goes down as smooth as possible....God Bless.
LiveStrong!
Zirna
10:32 PM
Scott, do you have any plans to spend your winnings, or did you already enjoy it? I am thinking of you often this week and thinking positive thoughts for you and your family. I hope that your chemo cycle is tolerable and that you can maintain some "normality" in your daily routine. Remember, sunshine is good for the heart, and laughter is good for the soul. Talk to you soon.
MB
7:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home