friday...
It's friday night, just finished dinner. Had a nice big pasta dinner. The main things bugging me now are that my tongue is raw and it's difficult to eat hot or rough foods and I can't sleep very well. I've been washing my mouth out with warm water and baking soda which helps (decreases the mouth's acidity).
Currently I've hit my nadir....you know what I'm talking about? Well for all of you non-oncologists it's the period when your blood counts (red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets) are at it's low point. I am most succeptible to infection and virus at this stage. I'm supposed to stay away from big crowds of people and situations where I might catch something from someone. I actually have masks that I or my visitors can wear. I did a little shopping today and was trying to avoid every little kid I saw. Bought some music (kanye west's new cd) and a couple games (The sims 2) to burn the time.
My brother said some of his co-workers wanted me to update my blog and I was getting a bit antsy from not writing anything for a day or two.....so I'll fill you guys in w/more of my day and thoughts. I've had trouble getting to sleep the last couple of nights. Today my goal was to not take any naps and get some exercise. I walked about a mile and a half bumping my new music... and it felt good to get the blood pumping.
If you guys want to see a really interesting blog check this one out... http://spaces.msn.com/members/smalls149/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c The guy is a 24 yr old who suffered a spinal cord injury at the C4 level...which means he has no strength or sensation from his neck/shoulders down. He's amazing...it's unbelievable to read. It really puts one's life into perspective and makes you aware of the little things we take for granted, like being able to scratch your nose or rolling in bed independently. Unreal.
My plans for the weekend are just taking it easy and having some friends and relatives visit. And of course trying to eat as much as I can until chemo. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Scott
17 Comments:
Hi Scott,
Soooo glad to hear that the last couple of days have been pretty good ones. I just read that the tumor is decreasing in size quickly...yeah!! Glad to hear you've been out and about a little..and staying away from those snot nose little ones :) I hope you have a relaxing weekend and enjoy the visits w/friend & family.
Love,
Karen Boyd
8:06 PM
Hi Scott,
We're so glad you have this blog for us to be up-to-date on your progress. I especially like reading your thoughts on how you're feeling and on life in general. I guess we should all learn to appreciate the things in life we take for granted. When Uncle Russ heard the tumor was shrinking he said, "GREAT!" That's exactly how we all feel. You are my last thoughts at night and my first thoughts in the morning. Just let me know when you're ready for some of my homemade spaghetti (Ha! Ha!). Just a little Mammoth humor there.
Take care and keep up the positive outlook. Remember...we're here if you need anything.
Love and Hugs,
Auntie Joyce
9:09 PM
Hi Scott,
I'm glad you are out and getting some sunshine and keeping up your spirits.
Susan
1:36 PM
Hi Scott,
I'm thinking of you and praying for you as always .... you're hanging in there and coming out on top! Take care.
love,
karen k
4:27 PM
whattup
good to hear that you got out a bit and did some shopping. the tongue things sounds pretty bad but hope it gets better my man.
and thanks for the update!
-Jimmy
5:58 PM
Good evening, Scott!
OK, sore tongue, Nadir, protective masks... your shift in focus to the trials & struggles of a C4 quad is a GREAT diversion & way to stay positive during this tough time in your own health. I can't articulate the power of your focus...Live as strong as you can at this moment, listen to your body, spend some time outside, listen to your music & feel the hugs coming through our words... you are heroic!! Your writing helps all of us who care for you & want to lighten your load abit with our love & prayers... thanks for your willingness to share your thoughts & reactions so candidly! Take good care! I'll write more before Tuesday. mjh
8:59 PM
HOLA SCOTTY!
I'm happy to hear that you are doing ok and in good spirits. Thanks for allowing us all to know how you are feeling and your progress with your treatments and all. I admire your strength and positive attitude and I know you will get through these tough times. You are in my thoughts and prayers. GOD bless you!
ANGIE;)
9:19 PM
Scott,
We're so glad to hear the nasty tumor has bowed to the chemo and shrunk. That is wonderful news! I'm glad the febrile illness was short lived and not too serious. Sounds like your bone marrow is hanging in there and still getting the job done. Take care!
Kim, Gerrit and family
9:30 PM
Hey Scott!
Glad to hear that the tumor is shrinking...very good news! Also great you're able to get out. The tongue thing sounds awful, ugh, hopefully, that won't last long! Keep up the positive attitude...we're all thinking of you!
Liane
12:08 PM
So glad to hear that things are going pretty well. I think of you often. Hang in there!
2:07 PM
Hi Scott,
WOW! The mass is responding to the chemo.
"Halleluya" Thank you Jesus!
Dick, Mr. Asari, always says that when something wonderful happens. and he is not even a Christian!
But something wonderful is happening. I can feel it as I read your words and read the loving comments of your friends and family. You have barely begun your fight for life and you have learned so much. Through this 'site', Through your friends and family, through those you have come in contact with that are in situations that are so much worse than yours. Your courage is amazing.
If we each could pick anothers life to be our own, whose life would we pick?
No matter how difficult our lives may seem today, I know you and I would choose our own lives as it is today. Not perfect but filled with the love of those close to us, hope, with the help of doctors and professionals around us and faith through God. Turn to Him, Scott, and He will show you the way.
With love and caring,I send this message to you. JoAnn Asari
6:56 PM
Hi Scott,
We're so glad to hear that the tumor is shrinking. Hang in there, Scott. You are coping with this obstacle in your life in such a courageous and admirable way. You are truly an inspiration to all of your family and friends. We are all behind you...you will beat this.
Love,
Donna and Garry Wada
11:51 PM
Hey Scott,
It was great to hear that things have been going good for you over the past couple of days. You are an amazing guy and after reading through all of your postings it is almost impossible to not put life into perspective as you mentioned. Keep up the great attitude and just know that my thoughts are with you...
Scott
10:42 AM
scott,
thinking of you,so glad to hear that you are feeling good and keeping your spirits up. keep your distance from those crazy kids!!! take it easy.Hope you had a great weekend.love,crystal b
4:56 PM
Hey Scotty too Hotty,
I was so everwhelmed with joy, that I cried when I read that the tumor is decreasing!!! My whole Bible study is praying for you, your family, your doctors and your team of nurses, etc. My friend Lindsey sends her prayers also and asks about you often. I think all of us at work are just looking forward to your return- almost like a homecoming! You are definitely missed and cared about.
Love, Linda.
5:35 PM
Hi Scott,
Isn't amazing how life can take a turn in such a short amount of time? A couple of weeks ago you find out about your tumor, last week you are doing chemo, this week your tumor is shrinking in size. You are handling life with such strength and grace. You are in my thoughts always.
7:29 PM
Scotty!!
Hang in there man! It's great to hear that you're feeling better. Take it easy!
Holly
10:07 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home