Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Ups and Downs...

So I had my boost of bleomycin on monday went home and relaxed. Because of the hot weather usually I've been trying to cool down but I was lying down and was actually getting cold and started shivering. I took my temp it was about 98ish.....took it again 30 minutes later and went up to 100 and again 30 min later and went up to 101. I called my Dr. and because he was out of the office he didn't have access to my blood counts...so he took the safe route and admitted me to the hospital. They checked my blood labs and started me on an antiobiotic IV drip.

I had a sore throat, was feeling tired, nauseated and back in the hospital with a fever. I met with my oncologist in the morning and he said my blood counts were about where they should be and my immunity wasn't low enough to have an infection or anything viral. Me and mom were relieved, my temp came back down by the morning too. My doctor said he wanted me to stay around till the next morning to recheck to blood labs and compare them.....then he later came in and told me I'd be able to d/c in the afternoon. And then more good news...they took a chest x-ray the previous night and the chemo is killing the beast. My oncologist was happy to tell me that tumor is decreasing in size rapidly from 14x7 cm to 10x3 cm.

A lot has happened the last two days...I guess I'm gonna have to get used to riding the wave (haha...you like that Marianna..:)) I can't tell you guys enough about how much I appreciate your comments. I love checking them, and hearing what you guys have to say. When I feel really bad it keeps me up...you guys are my support and are really making things easier!! Peace out...

43 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott! it's been ages since we've been in touch..probably since irvine days. just wanted to send some support your way and let you know that your outlook and attitude are inspirational..truly!

4:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! That's great that the Chemo is killing the Beast!! Aiko

4:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott! Just wanted to add my support to you. I'm truly amazed by your strength and attitude. Awesome to hear the tumor has already decreased in size! Stay strong, I know you will beat it!

Lynly

5:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such great news! Glad to hear you made it through the past couple days...pretty soon it will be all gone! :)

5:11 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Scott*
Glad to hear you were not in the hospital one second more than you had to be. I must say:
YYYOOOUU RRROOOCCCKKK!!!!!!!!!!! The news about the "shrinkage" is awesome.I took some pretty hard hits in the water yesterday...Can't wait for you to be out there to give me some advice on how to really surf.!
MB

5:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HHHHHHuuuuuurrrrraaaayyyy!!!!

6:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey the tumor's almost the size of el dedo grande!

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well kiddo, it's got to be alot more tolerable dealing with the side effects & the emotional roller coaster (well said!) to know the tumor's shrinking with the chemo & your courage as you face The Beast. Your rapid response to the fever was just what your medical team wants, so you can be given the extra TLC that's available...God bless you & your family, & help you all stay strong!! You remain in my thoughts & prayers, every step of the way!Marilyn

6:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really good news man!!! Glad to hear you are getting the rapid results. Continue to be strong through this crappy ordeal, it's all about YOU MAN! Take care, God Bless.

G

6:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was on bedrest all weekend waiting for you to call, but I'll cut you some slack...sounds like you had a legitimate reason. Sorry to hear to you had to go back to memorial again...hope you were still treated like a VIP like you deserve. Hope you got a private room...without the agitated, confused hispanic guy. How awesome that your chemo is working as expected.

Just to reiterate what all your friends and family are saying...you are amazing! Only someone like you, with your emotional and physical strength could take this challenge and tackle it with such courage and a positive attitude. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Like I keep saying it so therapeautic for us to know how you are doing...we definately sleep better at night knowing your are well and you have such a great support system.

Hey looks like you might not need all those hats...but they'll come in handy when your back at the beach. Tell your mom, I am totally serious about bringing dinner to you guys...I'll call you next week.

Stay strong and take care.

6:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm glad to hear that the tumor has decreased in size. That is encouraging news. Hope you're feeling better :) Have you tried eating ginger type foods yet for the nausea? Anyways...enjoy your time off from chemo!

6:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aloha scott...we are so sorry to hear what a bad time u are having but was happy to hear that the beast is being beaten down. After all the treatment is over, u should come to maui to rehab at the beach...keep on smiling and we will keep on praying luv da mauimizufukas

7:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey You! Fantastic news! So glad to hear that the tumor is shrinking.

Sorry that you had to go the hospital...I can so relate to the fevers! Bryan had them all of the time...Hang in there, Scotty! One day at a time, right?

Debbie

7:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news! I can imagine hearing such great news makes the tough days all worth it. Hang in there buddy!
Eric B

8:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott!

Praise God the Great Physician that the tumor is shrinking! I'll keep praying for you. I know that your inner strength will beat the "beast". Stay Strong. Looking forward to seeing you back stronger than ever.

Anne

9:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, What spectacular news that the treatments are working--a significant difference in such a short time frame. You are in my thoughts daily.

Love, Karyn

10:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott,

sorry to hear about your hospital scare, but that's great news about your tumor shrinking. i knew you, of all people, would tame the beast! miss you at the beach.

zina

10:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi scott,

yay for the shrinkage. rawwwrrrr! biting back at the beast.. that's what i like to hear. well, just thought i'd say hi in the midst of my homework procrastination and extend my hopes that you are keepin that chin up. oh yes. and also, laguna beach was pretty darn entertaining this week as well. if you are ever bored, mtv.com has a bunch of fun stuff on it, recaps and stuff. ooh and you should check out mugglenet.com if you haven't already. it amused me. laters cuz.

10:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, your good news is spreading faster by the minute. I found out from MB before i even read the blog for the day and I was so excited...made my day! I think you ARE the wave, beating the crap out of the tumor...much like some of your co-workers getting tossed off their boards the other day. :) Can't wait for you to get out there again!

11:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott

glad to hear your killing the beast. sounds like everything is running smoothly. let me know if you need anything, I make a mean chicken with rice dinner, however, its been a while since I actually made it. but I can break it out for you. haha. well have a good week. take cares
natalie nakase

11:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott!

I'm sorry about the yucky side effects but the chemo is really working!! Hooray! Hang in there. You'll get through all it all! I already love all of your friends...they sound like the best of the bestest friends! What goes around, comes around. You attract the good ones! Hugs from all of us,
Joanie, Dan, Matt & Garrett

11:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I am glad that the tumor is decreasing in size, just be patient on the treatment and for sure, everything will be alright.
I'll pray for you always. Take care.

Racquel

12:19 AM

 
Blogger JKC said...

Hell yeah dude! F that tumor.

6:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God is hearing all the prayers being sent up to Him .... He is Awesome, and so are you! Thanks for sharing the good news .... you made my day.
karen k

7:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news that you're tumor is shrinking...that's a good sign...you're chemo is working.
You're doing great and hopefully you won't have too many down days. Hang in there...Kaz

8:49 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Scott,
glad to hear you are kicking the snot out of that beast. Keep going strong, we need to have you out there with us getting worked by the waves. In case you did not hear, I got worked on mondays session with the girls and broke my foot, we are all laughing about it. Hang in there, take care.

dk

8:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Great to hear you´re taming ¨the Beast!¨ Keep the positive vibes going!

CN

9:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
YEAH, GREAT NEWS! I can picture you smiling. Keep on being the trooper that you are Scott.

Angella.

11:24 AM

 
Blogger Annalynn said...

Great news, Scott! Your positive attitude is an inspiration to all. Hang in there! I'm sure you can beat this.

2:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

el dedo grande is next!!! maybe the chemo will make it el dedo pequena! kill two beasts with one stone! glad to hear you are beating this sucker, mizone!

stick

2:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whazup Scott,

that is some graet news.
so glad to hear that chemo is working and the cancer is getting smaller.
keep it up and relax this week big boy!!
-Jimmy

2:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear that the tumor is shrinking...way to go Scott! Hang in there you are beating it with full force. You will be out there on the waves again before you know it. :)

Angela

2:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, it was cool seeing you over the weekend and glad you're taking everything so well. Hang in there man we're all cheering for ya,

Wes

3:52 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Scott! Awesome news about you battling the beast! We're thinking of you daily!!! Way to be strong!! Love, Sharon and Ray

4:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
Don't worry about the hair just yet--wait until it's short and white, like mine. We are all thinking of you and your family and wishing you the best. Happy to hear the chemo is already working. Give our best to your folks and Eric.
Glenn and Lil Osajima

4:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott heard and read about you through your OLD FART coach CHRIS and I love how you are staying strong and let me tell you that is the way to go.Had a rough experience myself and just remembering that GOD is first,then you and your family than all will fall into place.Everything happens for a reason and to the people who can handle it and I know deep down inside my heart that you are strong and special.Your hair cut looks awesome!!! :)

4:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - you tame that beast! Stay strong, we'll be by this weekend to see you :)

Auntie Helen, Stacie & Lori

4:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

I am so glad that you are making such great progress. Hang in there. You are doing extremely well.

Susan

6:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott...
i hope you're feeling better...i dont know if you have been able to watch laguna beach...but heres a list of ALL the air times...



Thu 09/01

6:00 PM


Thu 09/01

6:30 PM


Fri 09/02

2:00 PM


Fri 09/02

2:30 PM


Fri 09/02

3:00 PM


Fri 09/02

3:30 PM


Sat 09/03

11:00 AM


Sat 09/03

11:30 AM


Sat 09/03

7:30 PM


Sun 09/04

7:00 AM


Sun 09/04

8:00 AM


Sun 09/04

8:30 AM


Sun 09/04

9:00 AM


Sun 09/04

9:30 AM


Sun 09/04

10:00 AM


Sun 09/04

5:30 PM


Sun 09/04

6:00 PM


Mon 09/05

8:00 AM


Mon 09/05

8:30 AM


Mon 09/05

9:00 AM


Mon 09/05

9:30 AM


Mon 09/05

9:00 PM


Mon 09/05

9:30 PM


Mon 09/05

10:00 PM


Tue 09/06

11:00 PM


Tue 09/06

11:30 PM


Wed 09/07

12:00 PM


Wed 09/07

12:30 PM


Wed 09/07

6:00 PM


Wed 09/07

6:30 PM


Wed 09/07

10:30 PM
*haha*..sorry if this takes up a whole page...but i dont want you to miss out..this season is pretty cRaZy!!...Take care..and hopefully i'll see you soon..love you lots
-karen

9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott! That's great news that it has shrunk an incredible amount! Yeeeehaw! :) Our prayers and thoughts are definitely in the works. You're in good hands Scott! I hope that your temperature continues to stabilize as well.

Did you catch that dance show by the way?! Oh yeah! I started Piano...I can play ya a little sampler...it'll definitely make you giggle....I suck right now!

Okee, enough about me. I will give you a call. Dan's askin' if Monday eveningish is a good time to stop by?

Love ya fo' life buddy...:)

Zirna

9:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, just wanted to drop you a note to let you know I am thinking of you. You truly are an inspiration!!! Keep your head up!!
PS
Love the hair.....:)

9:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi scott...your thoughts are deep and profound, and you have this great gift of expressing yourself well. thanx for sharing your first hand account and experience...an experience that every one of us fears, yet wonders how it would be handled personally. it's given me a better idea of what our patients at LBMMC go thru. and it definitely puts perspective on life. my life. and, i might have to print your story out to inspire our patients!! :) just want you to know that all of us in the tower are pullin for ya and thinking about u. and if you are up for it....happy hour at cha, cha, cha's this fri :) take care and hurry back (nah, i mean we look forward to it, but you'd better use your "enery conservation tech" and rest up). :)
Cindy

9:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,
Your friends in O/P Neuro :) Hee Hee) are behind you!! Don't think we didn't notice you never returned after one day with us (just kidding :)!!)
Thanks so much for taking the time to create this site. Your strength and courage through this truly is an inspiration and a reminder to be thankful for every second.
Love to you and your family!!

10:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home