I get to rest...
I have one short boost of chemo meds today and get the whole week off. It's going to be nice for my body to recover. You read about the symptoms of fatigue and nausea but don't quite understand them until you are experiencing them. Towards the end of last week every time I woke up in the morning (at least 8 hrs of sleep) my body felt like I just got out of the water after surfing in the sun for 4 hours. I was unbelievably drained, my day was starting and I had no energy to start it. After recovering this past weekend I woke up this morning w/more energy and felt semi-refreshed...it was nice.
The toughest thing for me to adjust to is the fatigue following chemo treatments. I'm so used to getting outside doing whatever I want, whenever I want especially during the summer. And it's worse that the weather and waves are good. Yesterday my mom and I made it out to HB for some fresh air.....it was awesome. Getting my feet in the water was refreshing. I think the ocean has a healing property to it....for me. I'll be spending more time there this week.
My appetite has increased since last week and my meds are keeping the nausea semi in check. I get weighed everyday in chemo...so we'll see if or gain or lose today. Thanks guys.....
29 Comments:
If you're down for some surf fishing when you're down @ the beach, I've got an extra pole and a beach pass, so... in the words of the MXC... LET'S GET IT ON!
Marc
8:27 AM
Hi Scott,
We are always thinking of you Scott, and we check on your progress daily. You are truly an inspiration to us. Say hi to your Dad, Mom, and Eric. You must of really enjoyed getting your feet wet at the beach. The kids and I all give you a big hug. :)
Love,
Donna, Garry, Matthew, Mari, Brett, and Scotty
8:41 AM
Scott, I can relate to the symptoms you've described...I had a bad reaction to a medication two weeks ago and was sicker than a dog...ugh! The beach sounds like a great way to relax and regain your strength...take care...I'm praying for you.
love,
karen k
8:45 AM
Hey Scott,
MB and I (DK) are thinking about you. Glad you woke with some energy this morning. Cool that you went out to the beach, and was thinking that we will have to go for a boat ride and let you have that floating feeling. Anytime you want, ok,
chat soon
dk
9:01 AM
Good to see you have somewhat of an appetite Ttocs!As usual, good times hanging out this weekend. I will see you soon. If you want to go the beach on the weekend (preferable in the am) give me a holla! The beach is also my source of relaxation, therapy,.....sanity.
Eiluj
9:11 AM
Thinking of you everyday...stay strong Scott!
CN
9:12 AM
Congrats on making it through last week! Glad you were able to make it back to the beach... :)
9:57 AM
I am sure you are looking forward to your break. I bet its tough not to be out surfing right now, but you can always watch "North Shore". Take care and I'll talk to you soon.
Eric B
10:36 AM
Hi Scott
Great to hear you "get to rest". You deserve it! You're such a great inspiration and role model to everyone and I know your parents are so proud of you. I've been following your journal as well as getting updates from Gale...I know she's been one of your biggest supporters. It's so heartwarming to know you have so many friends who care and support you and I'm so proud of Jeff for his support...cutting off his great head of hair. You guys still look great! Take care and give my love to your family.
Hugs...Kaz
1:55 PM
Scott, here is something you can play with....if you get bored!!!
from an anonymous buddy :)
http://www.25-88.com/clean_your_monitor/brush.swf
(paste into address bar)
2:00 PM
Hey Scott...
Just wanted to send you a great big HUG!!! Im thinking and praying for you!!!
You know...i have always been a sucker for guys with shaved heads! The shorter the better! SEXY!!!!
erin asari
3:28 PM
What up dude!! Long time no see! I sure do miss the days at Memorial and see everyone. I was really sad to hear about what you're going through but I know that you can get through this. Randy's (husband) best friend was diagnosed with Brain CA 2 years ago and underwent alot of the same stuff as you are now with the exception of a crani. But he's doing really great now, not to mention it really changed his life (and the people around him) in a positive way - Isn't it crazy how fagile but amazing our bodies really are? I think it just inspires us all to love and give to each other with all we have, not holding back. THanks for all your sharing. Here's the link to my friend's website:
closertothecure.com
love,
Christine Chen P.T.
p.s. Wasn't New Zealand AMAZING??!!!
4:22 PM
glad to hear that you are getting out! the beach is the best! =) take care and always thinking of you...
stick
4:44 PM
Scott, My friend, congratulations on your first week down. It was so good to see you a few weeks ago at Memorial. I think you are right, our class needs a reunion...and you the guest of honor. My prayers are with today and always. Stay with the positive attitude.
Deirdre
6:10 PM
Well attempted "surfing" again today, definetly need more practice. Boy do I needs some pointers, missed you & can't wait till your back...
DM
8:44 PM
Hey Scott! I'm glad you get to rest and recuperate a little this week. Yes! I agree that the ocean is therapeutic on multiple levels. This weekend was beautiful and I'm glad that you're going to be able to hit the beach more so. I hope that you feel up to a visit from Dan and I. Let me know whenever you're available. We can all chat it up.
LiveStrong :)
Zirna
8:48 PM
Hey Scott,
I am so glad to hear that you are feeling better and that you got to spend some time at the beach. Take care!
Robin
9:35 PM
It's good to hear that you got a chance to get outside...the weather at the beach must of been great! Thinking of you everyday. Much love, Angela :)
9:36 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this blog. Every night when I read it, your positive outlook and gratitude for the blessings you have make any trials of my day seem trivial and insignificant. You help keep life in perspective for the rest of us, and we will all become better people because of knowing you. LIVESTRONG and enjoy your next couple of weeks off. Love ya tons!
10:12 PM
Hey Scott!
Glad you get to take a break from chemo this week. I've been checking your jounal every day! You really are an inspiration! I kept thinking about all weekend, cuz Dennis was playing in the Pasadena tournament, I kept remembering your love for the game! Take care! Thinking of you!
Liane
10:26 PM
Hey Scott,
I miss seeing you and having our little chats. Get some sun and some sand between your toes. You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
Your old carpool/gossip buddy,
GD
11:13 PM
Hey Scott,
Congrats on your first week under your belt. I hope you find peace and rejuvenation for your body, mind, and spirit during this time of rest.
Zina
11:42 PM
Scott,
Congrats on getting through your first week! Keep it up. Great to hear you made it to the beach. Let us know when you want to hang out.
Broadback
7:07 AM
Hey Scott~
You are truly an inspiration & one amazing dude!!! Love reading about your daily progress keep it up and enjoy your week off!! :) Stay strong and you are in my thoughts!!
Love,
Sally
8:21 AM
Hi Scott!
Glad to hear you're getting rest & feeling better. Sounds like Mom is keeping you well fed with good food!
Hope to see you soon.
Auntie Helen, Stacie & Lori
10:26 AM
hey scott.... it's taryn. just want to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers daily. stay strong... everyone is here for you!!
love... taryn
11:08 AM
Hi Scott,
I'm happy to know that you woke up with some energy but like you said the ocean does have some healing property. keep on being strong.
God bless
Angella.
1:29 PM
Hey Scott....
Its Matt T. the Nakamas neighbor in LA....
Whats up....Dude we got to get you some real food and a beer especially
after looking at that meal ur being served
Just wanted to touch base and tell you your in my thoughts and I am
thinking of a escape plan for ya. Get well soon...rest in the sun.
I did not know you surfed. I have a new board sitting at home..
Looking for some tips...
Hope to talk to ya soon.
Matt Tenggren
mten@earthlink.net
1:34 PM
Hi Scott! What is going on, I see that you haven't written today... I hope it is because you are doing something fun and also feeling O.K. I think of you often. Gaby said that you have probably been chatting on-line all day with babes!
MB
3:13 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home