home from the hospital
First night home from the hospital. Wow...who would have thought. I'm pretty shaken up by what happened it seems a bit surreal. For all of you who don't know I'll break it down. Last Friday I was surfing after work w/some of my coworkers and my left arm and shoulder was tightening up and became pretty swollen. I was out for a good half hour before I came in beacause of the discomfort. I took my wetsuit off and my left arm and shoulder felt like a tourniquet was around it. Some of my other friends came in and I eventually went to the ER at Long Beach Memorial w/my friend Roger.
To summarize the major events: had multiple tests done in ER to diagnose possible causes of swelling and left arm discomfort. Doctors found out it was a large grapefruit sized mass in my chest cavity impinging on my superior vena cava (main blood vessel returning blood back to heart from upper extremities). I played the waiting game while a patient in the hospital for consults and results from various doctors. The most important diagnostic test I had done was the biopsy of the mass (using a needle to obtain a chunk of the tissue) to determine the tissue type and whether or not it was cancerous. One of the doctors gave preliminary treatment options: if it was one type it could be excised through the chest or chemotherapy. I wasn't sure what to think at that point but knew that it had to leave my body somehow. The next day the oncologist came in and told my family and I that it was mediastinal seminoma which is a malignant cancer but very treatable. Lance Armstrong had a similar type treated w/chemo and look what he's done!!
So here we are, got discharged today had a nice dinner w/my family and shion (eric's gf) and will start chemo on monday. The regimen is 5 days a week a couple hours a day then 3 weeks off to rest and strengthen for 3-4 cycles. My oncologist sounds very positive and 3-4 cycles could kill the cancer. Sorry to be so objective and dry for my first entry but I just wanted everyone to know what happened and where i'm going.
Emotionally I'm doing pretty well considering what I happened. I was treated at the hospital where I am employed. I was admitted to the acute medical tower (I work in the rehab hospital) and had tons of co-workers, friends and family visit me which was awesome. I got the VIP treamtent because I was an employee and had a huge room w/enough space for 10 people to sit and visit.
Anyways, I'm not going to think too hard while writing this blog so my thoughts will be random and might not be grammatically correct. But it will be me. I'm so lucky to have such caring friends and family. Some of the things you guys have done have almost made me cry. It feels empowering to have so many people supporting me. This is first step in the journey....
40 Comments:
Thanks for setting up this Blog Scott. Wow, first chemo treatment on Monday, huh? We love you and "Hang Tough". (he he, I just had to use the title of an KNOTB song somewhere). Aiko
6:18 AM
hi scott! good idea keeping a blog. it'll help keep us updated on your journey. just let us know if you need anything along the way. ~lauren :)
8:34 AM
May sound silly using Lance Armstrong's mantra, but Live Strong! Gambatte! And just holla if you need anything. Eiluj
8:39 AM
It's good to see you have a positive outlook. You always had a sense of strength about you. You'll winning the Tour de France before you know it. Reid
8:58 AM
Just heard about your "journey" from my bro and Reid. I was totally shocked to hear the news. But, it sounds like you're handling this whole thing really well. Keep your spirits strong and stay positive. You're in our prayers. -Dean O
8:59 AM
hey man, hang in there. just wanted to let you know that you'll be in my prayers. ps. i love you...
-abe
10:14 AM
Hi Scott,
Jina and I will be praying for you and your family. You be tough now, YOU HEAR!!!!!! If you need anything, just call (213-272-3193). I can get you some porn to pass the time (you like that don't ya). Keep that smile bro. Daniel C.
10:21 AM
Hi Scott. I've been where you have been. Hang in there. Stay Strong. Get ready to get sick...but, you'll get through it fine. See ya. Bryan Jr.
10:22 AM
Hi Scotty. I want you to know that I have been thinking about you. Thanks for setting up this blog. I will keep in touch with you and your progress through it. I know that you are at the beginning of your journey. Our mantra that has been our continued mantra throughout Bryan's cancer journey and treatments has been "one day at a time" - "one minute at a time" at times. I know that your mom has told me that you already read the book, but read the Lance Armstrong book again. :) I have no doubt that you will get through this and kick it's *%$!!! :) Just like Lance! He has been Bryan's hero throughout all of this. One day at a time...remember that. I am hoping to bring Bryan down to see you sometime. Maybe you guys can swap "chemo stories"! I will call in a little while. Take care. Thinking of you and your family. Love, Debbie
10:33 AM
Scizott!!! Glad to hear you're home. It's the best place to be...lots of love, support, & food! :) I hope you don't think it's lame, but here is a quote from Zig Ziglar that fits: "Character gets you out of bed; commitment moves you to action. Faith, hope, & discipline enable you to follow through to completion." These are all traits that you already possess, so I have no doubt in my mind that you will get through this. Also, just know that you are in my prayers and my family's prayers as well. Love, Marlo
11:41 AM
Sup Scizzo mah nizzo. I just want you to know that "The little puppy made it all the way home, and that my friend is the industrial revolution." Keep the the smiles truckin. Peace, love and crazy times. ylmit
1:02 PM
hey scott...
thanks for keeping us updated on your status... wish you a speedy recovery!! we'll hit the waves very soon i'm sure ... SHAKA!
marc kanamori
1:50 PM
Hey you!
Thanks for the update! You stay strong - you come from good stock - cause we can all agree Ba-chan could have taken on Lance Armstrong anyday!
Let us know if you need anything - we'll see you soon!
Auntie Helen, Stacie & Lori
2:10 PM
Hey Scott. I'm glad you're home and have a positive attitude. I know you'll be just fine and let me know if there's anyting I can do for you. Remember Calmindon 316 fo' life. :) AH....i miss those days. ~Irene
2:51 PM
Dear Scott,
We are so glad that you're home from the hospital and that you have so many caring friends & family! There's a huge benefit of working in a hospital, don't you think? So glad you get the VIP treatment! We're all praying for you and have faith you'll make a full recovery! Its always so shocking when someone who is so healthy, is diagnosed with cancer! As you know, there are so many cancer patients who make a 100% recovery. I see it all the time at Huntington Hospital as I cover the oncology unit there. Its good your dad knows all the meds they're giving you! Dan, Matt, Garrett & I will continue to pray for your quick and full recovery! Love, Joanie
5:25 PM
Hey Scott!
Glad to hear that you're at home surrounded by loved ones. This blog is such a great idea! You are on everybody's minds so it will be nice to hear straight from the source. Your positive attitude and the strength that you have within yourself are key factors to your recovery. So I know that you'll be fine :) However, if you need anything let me know. If you need some entertainment....Jaden will sing and dance for you! Jenni
6:56 PM
Hi Scott!
We look forward to keeping in touch through this blog...we know that you will find the strength to pull through all of this. You'll be back on the b-ball courts in no time! We're praying for you and your family daily. Keep up that mental toughness! You're a star! Love, Sharon and Ray
10:51 PM
Hi Scott,
We just heard the news and were very saddened, but after reading your blog and knowing your strength and athletic prowess, you will no doubt overcome this small hurdle.
Bryan Jr. has been an inspiration to all of us over the years and I am sure his inspiration will carry over to you, cuz!
Pretty soon , you will be back on the courts , catching the waves .... and even hitting the "bowling lanes" again, right?
We will be praying for you and wish the Mizufuka family all the best during these trying times.
talk to you soon.
Glenn , Denise & Reid
1:16 AM
hey scotty, its good to hear that you have a real positive outlook. keep us updated on your progress! hope to see you soon. take care man, damon
1:28 PM
Hi Scott, I'm thinking of you during this time of many changes. You have everything and everyone around you that you need to complete this journey successfully. I wish I could bring you some In-N-Out. Remember back in November? Keep that smile on and know you are in my prayers.
Love, Karyn
7:40 PM
Scott, You are awesome! With your positive attitude and the support of your wonderful family and countless friends, you are going to emerge better and stronger! Our prayers will be with you throughout. Love, the Yoshiharas
9:28 PM
Hi Scott, Iam glad you have a positive attiude,thats half the battle.I know what you are going through it will be two years this Sept. 10th that I found out I had Cancer my shelf. I didnt go though chemo, but I had radiation on my neck and head. I felt very lucky because I didnt have much side affects from radiation. I still go twice a year for a ct scan and pet scan and see my oncologist every three months. I still have to get through to the 5 year mark to be cancer free.We our all praying for you.And our bible study group will be praying for you also. I go to a cancer support group every month though our church if you are interested I can take you just let me know.Take care Roger Joan Trisha Blair Lauren Koyanagi
11:25 PM
Hey Scott,
Just thinking about you today, and will think about you tomorrow too. I hope your first chemo treatment goes relatively smoothly and that you are blessed with meeting some interesting people along the way. It's amazing how when there is a crisis people literally come out of the woodwork to lend their support. I hope this continues to be your experience. Please know that I will continue to pray for you and your family. God bless you with strength, courage, fortitude, and peace.
Heidi
8:41 PM
Hey buddy,
Glad to see this up and to hear from you. I've got my whole family praying for you....even though you've never met, I talk about us cows and my sisters know you from our "Scott is Hott" comments at work. Just hope you know how much your friendship means to me. A couple of months ago, you called me when things were rough on my end, and your voicemail message meant alot. We're all here if you need anything. Love and God Bless, Venus
9:04 PM
Hi Scott,
Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts & prayers today, tomorrow, & everyday of your journey.
Charro
9:06 PM
Scott,
Just wanted to let you know that we are all thinking of you and your family.
Always,
Rodney, Nancy, Alex and Erin
10:39 PM
Hey Scott! Our prayers and thoughts are with you! Thanks for letting us know that you are doing ok. Stay strong and remember that we are all here for you if you need anything and that we pray for a speedy recovery! God Bless.
Scott and Julia Hitomi
8:11 AM
Hey Scott! Lauren forwarded me your blog site. Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking and praying for ya! Your strength and perserverance is an inspiration ... -Carmela
12:50 PM
Scott, Our prayers are with you as you start your treatment. Hope it went well today and we are sure you will be back catching waves soon. We will follow your journey.
As Deb said "One Day at a Time" and it will give you strength.
God Bless, Uncle Rich and Auntie Reiko
9:32 PM
H Scott,
Angella "mon" here, just want to let you know that I'm praying for you. I know you are a trooper so just hang in there. God bless.
10:45 AM
Hi Scott! I'm sorry to hear that you are facing this and wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It’s uplifting to know how much courage and strength you have. You are in my thoughts and I wish you a fast recovery! Love, Naomi Beppu
10:52 AM
Hello Scott, Michelle and I are wishing you a speedy recovery. Please let us know if we can help in anyway. Take Care.
Adam and Michelle
12:00 PM
hey scott, welcome home! well i actually jus got home too but i just wanted to let u kno that we are all pullin for u man. hope u get well soon. -bigjohn
1:12 PM
hey scotty! we're all thinking about you and hoping you get better soon! we love you!
wendi nish...tammy fujimoto...jodi miwa...alli naka...(the south bay and valley girls) :)
1:55 PM
scott,
thinking of you. hope you are doing ok and that the medicine i gave you is working!!! stay strong!
love: hi-me
5:53 PM
Scott,
You're in our thoughts and prayers as you face this new challenge in your life. With your positive attitude and the support of great family and friends, we know you will overcome this. Love to you and your family.
Don & Jeanette Onishi
10:42 PM
Hi Scott, and family,
Oh my gosh, I am in shock. It is hard to type with tears and fears. But as I continued to read your updated entries your strength and positive outlook was very loud and clear. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or the family. We are keeping you in our thoughts and heart.
All our love, Tom and Kathy W.
2:08 PM
HI Scott,
What a wonderful way to let us all know how you are doing. You sound so positive and thats half the battle. We were very shocked to hear of your condition from your Uncle Clayton. I remember riding my bike along the beach and crossing your path as you were training for your marathon. I admired your strength and endurance. Reading your jounal reaffirmed my admiration for your unfaltering spirit. Your courage inspires us all. We give you all our love and support. The Nodas
3:06 PM
Scott
You are a strong and courageous young man. You have a loving and caring family and countless friends who are there with you in spirit if not in body. Sharing your journey allows us all to support you even more. My hairstyle already matches yours. If there is anything else I can do to help you, mom or dad, please don't hesitate to ask.
Our entire family sends their love and suppoet.
Ken Hayashi
4:44 PM
Hi Scott! The Wangs have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers. You are a strong and amazing person. Your positive attitude doesn't surprise me. Keep us posted with your progress. :) Much love, Angela (You probably remember me best as a "Fong")
6:03 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home