Monday, August 22, 2005

first day down...

Made it through the first day of chemo without too many problems. I went to the infusion center which is an oupatient doctor's office type setup. In the back there are about 8 recliner chairs facing the windows, the nurses are really personable, nice people. I met one dude sitting or actually sleeping next to me and he looked about in his 30's and was going through the same chemo regimen and drugs that I was. He said his major side effect is fatigue...he slept through the 3 hour infusion and then said he was gonna go home and take a nap. Maybe I'll talk to him more tomorrow.

My mom came along to the visit and we very prepared, my mom had two little fold up coolers w/drinks in one of them and bite size sandwiwches and snacks in the other. It was awesome....everyone else just rolled up w/nothing and just slept or watched tv. We had a couple left over sandwiches and gave it to another patient receiving chemo and I bought myself a friend...:)

The nurses that worked there were really easy going, very thorough and informative (they described all my infused meds and side effects), and really went out of the way to make me comfortable. Before coming into this situation I imagined chemo being an uncomfortable cold experience. But everything ran so smoothly, met some cool peeps, and received exceptional care.

I finished up and didn't feel to different, I actually walked across the street to rehab at LB memorial where I work to fill out some paperwork and see some co-workers. It was awesome to be back and see everyone. I came home and just took it easy the rest of the day, had a little nausea in the afternoon took some meds which helped.

And to answer some of the questions....Chad and Jason I don't know why eric didn't shave his head. He gave me some excuse about work......or maybe because he has a higher forehead than I do. Nah just messin...Eric...i love ya man.

Your guys' comments are great. Writing this blog is very therapeutic, it makes everything I'm going through so much easier. I feel like everyone else is by my side...even though that sounds cheesy. I'm grateful to have such caring and considerate friends and family.... it's awesome. I think i missed laguna beach tonight. I just took an ativan to take the edge off and help me sleep...maybe that is why i am having random thoughts. Goodnight...

34 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
You're teaching all of us so much by writing down your thoughts, feelings & experiences! Thanks for being so open and honest. So glad to hear your first day of chemo went smoothly! Hope the nausea will stay away. BTW, thanks for posting those nice photos! My friends were checking out your nice bod! (Jeffrey & Kevin's too, of course!). Give your mom & dad a big hug from us too. You have amazing parents!
Love, Joanie & family

11:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Scott. I'm glad you posted tonight. I've checked throughout the day to see how it went.
Of course, your mom would bring food!
Sounds like you are making the best of the situation. Keep it up.

Susan

11:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that your first day of chemo went well. Your new hair-do looks good. Ikes.

1:05 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
Sorry to hear what you are going through. You need to talk to Dr. Mohamed as she had finished another bout of Chemo last year-for her Hepatitus C. Never fear, you are handsome with or without the hair. As for the Sushi-I went to Japan on business with CSULB this summer and we partied in the evenings. THe Karaoke was fine-I kept the mike away from my disharmonius singing--but the Sushi-well, let's just say I tried it all but it didn't stay with me for long. Really enjoyed Japan although I didn't get to sight- see. Keep your spirits up-as you said like Lance. kc

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good hear you started off chemo well and with a good attitude. I'm sure the fact everyone assisting you is so personal and inviting will really help your treatment. Hopefully it won't keep you from missing any more episodes of Laguna Beach. If it makes you feel any better, I missed last night's episode too. I really wanted to see if Jessica breaks up with Jason too. I'll have to catch a rerun.

-Reid

9:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scottie Too Hottie 08/23/05
You know I can fill you in on any MTV "reality" show, no doubt. Laguna Beach, Real World, even Sweet Sixteen ... you name it. Although,I can't get into Andi Milo blah blah blah. I'll just consider that my duty. Very happy to hear that the 1st day went well.
I'll catch you later! Amayikas Eiluj

9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott!!
You're amazing...
And the haircut is HOT! You should've shaved it back in high school when the Methodist guys all did it...oh wait, then you would've gotten all the girls and they would've been sad. :)

Thanks for keeping us all updated and thanks for talking to me last night. It was very uplifting to hear your voice and feel the strength that you posess. You really are amazing. Obviously you have a million people on your side and please know it's a million plus me and my family!

Don't forget to make your weekly massage appointment next week! :)

You're in our thoughts...

Kim & the Hayashi's

10:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my opinion... you saw my hair on saturday night, and you thought i looked SOOOO good, that you decided to shave it just like mine... no? darn.

by the way...wasn't that $2 red good?!? i don't know if it was the price or because it was just plain good... im thinking both.

anyhoo, i'm glad to hear that you're doing well... keep it up man, you're doing great!

marc

10:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. Phew...So glad to hear that your first chemo went well...Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that don't get all of the side affects... :)I know that Bryan will be jealous (His nausea and vomiting was pretty severe - we got to the point of walking into the hospital and starting to dry-heave!)! You continue to be in my thoughts. Hang in there.

Debbie

11:02 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Scott...

nice blog, cuz. i admire your grounded, honest voice and i'm glad to hear that your first day wasn't too bad. it was nice to see you and the family this past weekend...btw, i really do like the hair cut on all u guys... very jack johnson-esque. rockin that laid back surfer vibe, i think. haha i dunno. well, i happened to miss laguna beach last night too, saw the last 10 minutes.. let me know if you ever get bored enough to want to watch the first season on dvd. hahaha such a guilty pleasure. anywho, i know you will do great so i don't need to tell you good luck or anything like that - just know that i'll be lookin forward to another mizufuka cousin nite at gyu kaku!

Love,
Kelli

12:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey S! Thanks for all the 411 on everything. It helps us avoid asking akward questions, because most of the time you've already answered them. It's good that you're making new friends who are going through the same thing you are. Anyway, I'll check in again soon. Hang in there! Love, Marlo

P.S. Love the hair! :)

12:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott-

I am so saddened to hear this news but it appears as though your support network of family and friends is endless and more than willing to help out wherever needed, and that is due to what a great man you are! You will be in my families thoughts and prayers. I am glad to hear that the first day of chemo went well, I hope the remaining treatments go just as well. I also like the haircut. You are thought of and loved from Las Vegas, take care and thank you for keeping us all in the loop! Keep fighting!!

Chris Roussel and Family

12:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott... the hair looks good! I'm glad I'm able to read everything you're going thru on this blog. Good to hear that you're getting great care at LB. Take care and you're in my prayers. Jaime

1:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi scott... not sure if you kno me or not, kiomi kishi here. jason hitomi sent me your blog. hope you are doing well. sounds like you are which is great. my cousin was diagnosed with cancer a couple years ago. shes my age, 26. she went through chemo and now is totally free of cancer... healthy and happy. i can tell that youre staying positive and have many loved ones on your side. thats what helped get my cousin through cancer... and thats what you got as well. take care. liking the haircut too...

1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdee Scott,

I've been reading your daily entries and have learned so much from you! I have to say ... your optimism and upbeat attitude is not only infectious, but also inspiring. Glad to hear your first day went well.
Thanks for sharing with us and allowing us to try and understand all you're going through.
We all look forward to your next entry.
I am, and will be praying for your speedy recovery, and that you don't run into any other bumps along the way ....

Oh ... and you missed a good Laguna Beach last night - but you know they'll show it 873 more times before Monday~!!

Take care of you.

*megan*

btw ... diggin' the do = )

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott!
your courage and strength are so admirable! please take care and good luck with your treatments. we're all rootin' for ya.
~tawny endo

1:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

Heard the news from Reid and Dean. I gotta say, I'm very inspired by your positive outlook and honesty...keep it up! I'm hoping to bump into you and Eric at the beach again sometime soon. (and seriously, you watch Laguna Beach like Reid? What's wrong with you people?)

Take care, Todd Ume.

1:59 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scotty...i like the new do! i think my roomie would like to shave all the hair off my head too...did i tell you that i live at kiomi's with her and corey fujita now??
anyway...glad to hear that you're making some new friends and day one of chemo went well!
i'm thinking of you and i'm here if you need anything! i can even help your mom make some friendship meals...uh, i mean bentos! :) love you!
~bloody wendi
by the way...laguna beach is poop this season. missing nothing. ha!

2:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott, I just heard about your situation from kiomi and want to send my well wishes to you. I know it's been a minute, but no less heartfelt. My mother survived cancer as well- kicked its ass really!- and I'm sure you'll do the same. Take care of yourself man. piece>>peace

+greg

2:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott!
Your positive attitude, incredible spirits, and personal growth through this journey is truly admirable to all of us. Leave it to the Mizufukas to always have a sense of humor! The love from all of your family and friends is so amazing to see as we learn about your experience. Before you know it, you will be back to singing Karaoke and sharing (or fighting over) the mic with Eric. Keep your spirits high and know that Maile, Alan, and I always have you in our thoughts..
Lani

4:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Scott,
I did not realize that blogging was the thing to do these days... seems like everyone's has left you a comment (even my little brother and sister). I also can't believe that out of the six of my family members who have commented none of them signed my name with theirs, especially with how much we have been thinking about you ahaha. So please be aware that one more Hitomi is praying for you, your family, and the doctors working on you. With that said I must tell you Jason does not lie when he says he tapes LB, but he does stretch the truth when he says it was for KEVIN!
peace
Remy Hitomi

5:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T-tocs
If you didn't know by now,just wanted to let you know that the Sakiyamas are all rooting for you! My pops is doing countless middle splits for you! -Juri & Shion for the Sakiyamas

5:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mr. Popular,

I've been reading your posts, and I just wanted to tell you that I admire your strength and optimism. You inspire us all, day in and day out. Hey, you're even rockin' the buzz!! Keep your head up and just know that we're all here for you.

Much love,
Kristen Hiraoka

6:53 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it went well with the chemo...the Ativan will make things much smoother so don't hesitate using it. Your mom is amazing at always making everyone so comfortable. Our thoughts are with you all.

7:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott,

my sis just told me about your blog site, I admire you so much for sharing your thougts and experience. I just want to let you know if you need anything I am here for ya. you know with your jumper and all, haha. jk. we missed ya on our coed 4on4 this year, wasn't the same without our squad. well take cares, and LAGUNA BEACH ROCKS!!!
nat nakase

8:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott! You have such amazing strength. It is so inspiring! I'm glad to hear that your first treatment went well. And nice hair, looking hot like always!
Love from the east coast - Yma

9:10 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
I just got hold of your "Scott's journey" and feel blessed that you are letting all of us join in on your travels!! I want you to know that I pray for you every night and know that God will get you through this!! You are truly a strong individual both physically and mentally.
On a lighter note......I dig on the hair cut (you and my husband must have the same barber :) )
Love,
Karen Boyd

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Hope you're feeling ok after the second day of chemo. You have a tough road ahead but your positive attitude will keep you strong. You and your family are in our thoughts everyday. Let me know what you like to eat and I'll have Lauren cook for you. Just kidding! I better do the cooking!!!
Love,
Jayne and Ken Sakoda

9:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aye yo! where is joey butafuco? how the hell do you spell his name? anyways... thank you for sharing your experience with us. you are teaching us so much! 2 days down... 3 to go! we are pulling for you and praying for you everyday! ooh- real world is on.. danny's back!

10:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
Its uplifting to hear your positive outlook on life. Thanks for bringing us along your journey. My prayers are with you.
-joe montano

10:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey scott!
glad to see that the chemo went well. it's very uplifting to see that you have such as great attitude. it makes my law school woes seem miniscule (is that spelled right?) anyway, thanks for keeping me in check =P the hair looks good too. see! you should've shaved your head with the rest of us. it woulda been worth it.... eventhgough we lost the next day =P hehe! say hi to the parentals for me. take care!

10:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,

glad to hear that your first day went well. as like you i thought chemo treatment was something painful and gloomy but good to hear that it's not.
take care my man!

-Jimmy Soga

10:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK Scott! I am really hurt that you and Jeffrey did not call me to be a part of the haircutting thing! I could have you all looking so much more "in-style".
Seriously...I was so blown-away to hear what has happened to you since I saw you last just a couple of weeks ago. As your Hair-Mom, I must tell you I have not recovered yet. I write this to you with tears in my eyes but hope in my heart!. You haven't even shown me your China Pics yet.
Your Auntie Kaz gave me this site, I just love it. You are a very special young man, Scott. I have always known this. I couldn't quite put my finger on just why I felt this way about you. Now I see it! This experience will touch everyone you have ever had contact with! The very way you are are communicating with us is so unbelievably brave and bold of you. Many of us would have curled up and retreated into a hole of self pity.
You know I am a Christian. I have had you in my chair for more that 15 years. I know you have the heart of a Christian and I know you will not be offended if I tell you that I have put you on our Church prayer chain. We are praying for you, Scott. I have shared my love and admiration for you and now my church has taken you and will lift you up in prayer. It's free and you cannot stop it. Please accept the only help I can give you...my prayers, my love...JoAnn Asari

9:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Scott,
I am glad to hear that you are in positive spirits. You have a strong inner strength and that alone is important to beat "the beast." Thank you for sharing your experiences and reminding us what life is about. Keep on having a positive outlook and my prayers and blessings are with you.
-Jon Onosaki

9:33 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home